Cost Plus World Market - Ticked!

Horrible experience... We've bought many things from World Market over the years and when we moved into our new house we thought we'd give them a try for some major furniture items. We liked the Galvin Cafeteria table so we searched for a way to get a discount as we just missed a 30% off Tables sale. We found 20% off for signing up to their email advertisements. So I went to the checkout and told them we wanted the table. They replied that it was out of stock and they would be happy to order it. Great, Right? WRONG... They said, I can only pay once they get the table in and I come in to pick it up. They would not let me pay for it now and get the 20% off. I would have been ok with this, except the 20% off expired prior to their projection for when the table would get in and they would not honor the expired 20% off.

So, we gave up on the store option and went online. Turns out they have the table for the same price online. I put it in my cart and went to check out and there was a service fee and shipping fee that was equal to the 20% off coupon we had. Giving up on trying to save money and not wanting to drive 40 min back to the store we ordered the table. At the time of the order the "arrival date range was one week out. We waited the week and I got an email that said "good news, you table has shipped." Wait, what??? It was supposed to be here tomorrow per the order. I called and they explained that that was when the table would arrive at the "shipper" Really??? Since when does a consumer care when their purchase is arriving at the shipper. We want to know when it arrives at our door. The email said delivery within 7-14 business days. WOW.... Amazon can ship anything in two days and it still takes World Market up to 14! Ridiculous.

I called customer service and complained. They said that since I was told that it would arrive today, to wait until tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive they will refund the shipping only. They knew it wasn't going to arrive today, I just got an email it shipped... So I played their game and called back the next day. They process a refund for shipping and told me expect the refund in 10 days. Again... 10 days? Wow....

I waited another full week for the shipper to contact me to set up the delivery. They came today as planned and... Come on, anyone can predict this. It was damaged. We rejected the shipment and I called World Market customer service and told them to refund it. They said they will only refund when the item arrives back at their warehouse and then it will take another 10 days. So I have to wait a week plus for the freight company to ship it back, then another 10 plus days before I'm credited back my money. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE... From start to finish, I'll be at nearly two months.

NEVER AGAIN will I every buy anything from this horrible retailer. NEVER

Does this review come across as harsh? I hope so, because I'm Pissed Off!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Galvin Cafeteria Table
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #751764

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Cost Plus World Market? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 3 No 3
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Dec 22, 2015 #1082666

Does this review come off as harsh? No, it just comes off as whining and petty. On a positive note, since you will never shop at WM again, you are saving that company from one less headache. Merry Christmas!

1 2 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.