Cost Plus World Market - World Market - terrible customer service

I post good reviews much more often than poor ones. But every now and then, I feel it is important on principle to report very, very poor customer service, such as what I received from World Market.

I bought a set of dishes (set of 4 dinner plates/bowls/salad plates) in March for $94.24. After 3-4 months, the paint and glaze on the rim of one plate delaminated, exposing an approximately 2-inch strip of white. The plate was obviously defective; the others were fine. It never occurred to me that World Market would not stand behind their products. After too many emails, and way too much of my time, and being treated very poorly, they simply refused to replace the plate because they have a 60-day return policy. A set of dishes - warranted for only 60 days? That is ridiculous. And why did they string me along for months, if they never intended to replace the defective plate? Taking care of a customer with a legitimate, proven claim isn't worth even $10 to World Market - which is what it would have cost them to replace the plate.

Chronology: I emailed them through their website August 11, asking for a replacement. A series of back-and-forth emails ensued, with me submitting pictures of the damaged plate, providing copies of my transaction, etc. Finally, they said their corporate team would contact me, which never happened. I contacted them again; same thing, no one ever contacted me. I contacted them again, saying if you can't get the corporate team to contact me, please give the name and number of the head of Customer Service. I was shocked (though why should I be? They clearly don't care about customers) when they suggested that I CONTACT the corporate team. I wrote again, saying I would just buy another plate and put a poor review online. I then received an email from "Agent Ed" (corporate team?) who said they had they had already emailed me (not true) and that they wouldn't replace the plate because it was past 60 days.

Thanks for nothing, World Market.

an ex-customer

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Fiji Salad Plate Dragonfly Design
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #917245 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Cost Plus World Market? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Cost Plus World Market. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Cost Plus World Market.
Filing a new complaint about